Tart, tangy, and almost spicy, currant berries are the perfect contrast to sweet, fluffy muffin batter.
Servings: 12 muffins
|2 cups||All-purpose flour|
|1 ¼ cups||Granulated sugar|
|2 tsp.||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Milk (2%)|
|½ cup||Unsalted butter, melted|
|2 cups||Currant berries (or other berry if preferred), tossed in a few tbsp. flour|
|3 tbsp.||Course cane sugar|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a muffin wrapper in each well of two muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla, then pour the wet mixture over the dry, and mix just to combine.
- Add the melted butter and mix again.
- Fold in the floured berries.
- Place muffin wrappers of choice in muffin tins. Divide batter between 12 muffin cups and top each with sliced almonds and coarse sugar (if desired). Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then display fresh muffins for no more than 24 hours.